Saturday, March 26, 2011

OMANDUR TEMPLE

Kural-236 "Thontir pugazhodu thontuga…"
Meaning : If you are born (in this world), be born with qualities conductive to fame. From those who are destitute of them it will be better not to be born.
This was the kural meaning written on the government bus which my mom and I boarded.

Amazing Vanni tree that supported me gave me shade from the hot sand and sun.



Why this temple?

My soothsayer asked us to go this temple so my mom dragged me to this temple. This temple is indeed miraculous. Even few minutes of meditation here, gives abundant blessings, that I was forced to do shanthi thavam just after 5 minutes, for peace, to stop my headache. I could not do it the way Vethathri Maharishi had asked us to, focusing on spinal cord. Thankfully, I remembered yesterday’s Ambal shop's mantra just in time to get rid of headache. I wanted some space ‘Far from The Madding Crowd’ and was sitting after taking the temple snaps near the madapalli. Water spilling out from the pipe at distance came near my feet where I was sitting and I playfully splashed in the water, taking care not to wet my sari. It was fun.

There are such evolved souls in this temple who can withstand all the arul (blessings) but at this stage, I cannot. I actually saw the very old poojari (> 60 years) roll on the blazing hot scorching noon ground with lightening speed, jump, bend and spring like doll thrice or more times, saliva came out, people were scared he would hit the hard granite stones nearby. He quickly went to the heavy vel (spear), uprooted it from the ground and went around the Masi Periyanna Swamy temple and finally put it back in its place after circumambulating it once.

Temple History



Annai Kaamakshi, Ekambareshwarar in Jyothi forms

This is my attempt at literal translation of the tamizh booklet by Thiru E.Ganeshan as my mom read the poem form of history which is recited beating Udukku (small hand drum). Know the temple history of Big Temple in 12th century with pride. Think with mind (manas) Annai Kamakshi and divine (arul) Masi Periyanna.

There was a child named Karalan, who herded cattle at the base of Kollimalai. Masi and Arabali were two Malayali friends. The malayalis conducted a big pooja, where outsiders were not allowed. With the help of friends, our son Karalan, went inside temple to see the pooja. In the malayali crowd, he hid in the attic to see it. He incurred sin, since he saw it hiding.

There is one outsider amongst us, bring him, revealed the blessed voice. He listened to us being one amongst us in spite of being an anniyan (outsider). The next day the poojari ordered Karalan to be beheaded. Karalan was scared to death and prayed to God. Kamakshi came in Karalan’s dream, only for one second you would be with cows, she said. Whereever the herd of cows stops, we will be there and you can construct a beautiful temple, she said.

Balagan (the kid) woke up and looked at his cows. At dawn he herded his cows. He stayed at night in Vaithychetty palayam. The next day, he stayed in VeeraMacchanPatti. The third day, MuthiyamPalayam. 4th day he followed his cows.

At a place, where Vanni tree and Kunni tree were present, the cows started moving in circles. There was a loud sound like O due to tree branches shaking and Ma sound of cows. Cows bent on their knees and mooed in joy. Karalan raised his hands above and prayed to God. O and Ma joined in this place, sinless Maasi Periyannan’s soil. Hence the name Ommandur.

Trivia

Sweet Pongal is given as prasad. Pooja is done with mud and jyothi only on Mondays and Fridays. All deities are in the form on jyothis, and no statues are there, making it even more divine and sublime. Special poojas are done on Chithirai 1st, Thai 1st, Jan 1st. Aadi 18th and 28th. Maasi month (march) mahashivarathiri day – festival is celebrated with gusto. This temple reiterates the importance of kula devatha prayers, before starting anything. Practical modern day blessed poojaris. There is no archana sheet and no compulsion that arathi will be done only if you put money (like in Kukke Subrahmanya). On Mondays and Fridays, the present poojari (grandson) finishes his pooja to deities and answers all devotees questions freely and practically the whole day. Invigourating temple.

Parts of temple that caught my attention

There are 12 pillars by the south and north side. 2 center pillars.



Devi Mahima



Ekabareswarar, MaasiPeriyanna, Shakthi



Omrishi – reminded me of the short story – The man without the face



Baba Ramdev connection

I was amused to see this poster reporting that Baba Ramdev was coming nearby on 26th.


Finally could not help remembering the soul melting swarajathi, Kamakshi ni padayugame sthiramani ne nammi by Syama Sastri in Yadukulakambhoji. I am still struggling with mishra chaapu talam though. :-)

6 comments:

swami said...

Very powerful god. the god is always with me.

SS said...

True, there is something serene about this temple

Unknown said...

I NEED HELP.I GET INTO TRANCE FROM PERIYAANNA SWAMY.IT HAS HAPPENNED 4TIMES FROM LAST SEP 2015
AND LATEST ON POURNAMI DAY 21/04/2016.HE IS MY KOLATHEIVAM AND I HAVE TAKEN SAND FROM THIS OMMANDOR TEMPLE IN 2011 AFTER VISITING WITH MY FAMILY.I NEED TO KNOW HIS MANTRAS AND PRAYING
METHODS AND ALSO THE PROCESS TO CONTROL HIM WHEN IN TRANCE.WITNESSES HAVE SAID WHEN I`M IN TRANCE, IT`S OUT OF CONTROL. PLEASE HELP ME.

SS said...

Vanakkam,
Best is to seek mantra upadesha, praying method details from the Omandur koil poojari. Hari Narayana is the ultimate solace.

Unknown said...

Is there any books about this temple

குணரெத்தினம் ராமசாமி said...

I need the photograph of our Periannansamy. Please help me to get the foto.gunarethinam@bursamalaysia.com