Friday, March 25, 2011

My experiments with Tulasi

From wiki: The name "Tulasi" in Sanskrit means "the incomparable one". The Tulasi plant is known in India in two forms – dark or Shyama (Krishna) Tulasi and light or Rama Tulasi. The former possesses greater medicinal value and is commonly used for worship.

Tulasi has also been used for thousands of years as a prime herb in Ayurvedic treatment, for its diverse healing properties. It is mentioned by Charaka in the Charaka Samhita, the central teaching of Ayurvedic medicine, and in the Rigveda. Tulasi is considered to be an adaptogen, balancing different processes in the body, and helpful for adapting to stress. [Marked by its strong aroma and astringent taste, it is regarded as a kind of “elixir of life” and believed to promote longevity.

Tulasi and Basil flowers


Medical Benefits of Tulasi thailam



1. Headache
Apply 2 drops of thailam on the two sides of forehead. Apply one drop of thailam on a piece of cloth, wring the cloth and inhale the fume. Children need not inhale the thailam fume.

2. Phlegm in chest
Adults could apply 5 drops of thailam on the chest pit for 5 continuous days before sleeping. For children it is 3 drops with coconut oil.

3. Tooth ache
Apply 2 drops of thailam on a piece of cotton and bite this cotton between the painful tooth. After 5 minutes, spit out and gargle with hot salt water. Germs will get killed and get pushed out and teeth will be strong.

4. Swelling
For bee sting, wasp sting, poisonous sting, take 10 drops of thailam and gently apply on the swollen area without any application of slightest pressure. After half and hour wash the swollen area with a sheekakai powder.

5. Joint Pain
For knee pain, neck pain, shoulder pain, hip pain and swelling due to accident take 10 drops and rub vigourously till the area gets slightly warmed with rubbing. If there is excess pain, after 30 minutes, give hot salt water othadam (cloth pressing). For external use only.



My experiments with Tulasi

I always used to wonder why this hoopla about praying to Tulasi. When I shifted to my new room in hostel, there was a barren pot left by previous student. So I wanted to plant roses in it, but the sweeping lady Jayamma got me Tulasi instead. I watered it with so much care, and flowers blossomed on it, but I was scared to pluck even a single leaf from it, when I or my friends developed common cold. Now thanks to thailam, I can use and derive the benefits of Tulasi without compunctions.

How I got the thailam

Yesterday, I was seated in the bus that was supposed to start at 10:15 am. It was 10:20, the Trichy heat was simmering and the sweating was profuse, aggravated by my silkish sari. One guy boarded the bus and explained the benefits of this thailam in a clear voice. Each box contains 2 vials. And it works. I tested it for my headache and it disappeared. Whenever I meditate knowingly or unknowingly, I get intense headache. Unless I quickly practice shanthi thavam as Vethathri Mahrishi has instructed us to, my head just splits out with pain. This one is indeed miraculous and that too only Rs.10/-. And the bus started immediately after everyone pocketed their Tulasi thailams. Wow, even delays are so meaningful.

Update 6 months later

Well, the tulsi smell, remained for the first few days, slowly the thailam was no longer thailam. It ceased to be effective. The initial effect was definitely a placebo. I slowly realized that the guy was fake. People sell spurious stuff all around. :-) How did I forget the maxim of caveat emptor? Recently after visiting my friend's newborn, we boarded a bus at Aranthangi. And lo, some other guy was selling this tulsi thailam, again, advertising like Surya in Pithamagan. One has no doubts about Tulsi benefits, it is the fake thailam and sellers that makes me wonder. The other day, mom ended up buying 1 kg honey that turned out to be syrup used in road side sherbet stalls with 2 crushed bees floating inside. I don't quite remember, where amongst Chanakya's shastras punishment for institutions that sell inappropriate food is specified.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

nice and informative,thank you

Tresa Yesuraj said...

Where do I get this thailam

Mathu said...

Hi where did I get this tulsi thailam

Unknown said...

MANY OF THEM GET IN THE BUSSTAND IN MANY PLACE.