Monday, March 28, 2011

Music Teacher’s Gift

My ma’m has this habit of giving something or the other to us for every occasion. Last time for Vijayadashami, I got a plate. This time for the Thyagarajar Aradhana that I missed, this is what she gave me this evening. A pink serving tray with a golden rim. My childhood’s favourite colour. Those were the days, I viewed the world through baby pink glasses, every dress that dad bought me, right down to slippers were all baby pink. Later my dress shades changed to earthish biegish shades. Am no longer wondering, why girls are obsessed with pink. :-)

With my cleansing Karpuravallis and mini oranges for Tuesday



My experiments with music

I had always wanted to learn carnatic music after struggling with the pronunciation and song form of LalithaSahasranama in 2006 when I bought my yellow sapphire (Kanaka Pushparagam) and had to do its associated sanctification pooja. Somehow only last year, I got a chance to enroll for formal carnatic music classes. So I researched net and I was surprised to see that the 7 swaras and chakras had the link. So I used to close my eyes for the sarali, mel sthayi, janda, dhatu etc and visualize the corresponding chakra region. Somehow, to synchronize thalam, chakra visualization and to sing was tasking. To top it all, talams for geethams, swarajathis and varnams etc varied making it difficult for me to practice swaras and the corresponding pallavi charanams keeping in mind the chakras region. All this because I have not still memorized most of the songs. Finally I let go, forgetting the chakras, forgetting the talams, just swaying and moving my hands and finger tips, just following and flowing with the nerve sensations in my body as I sang.

Thalams and Mudhras

I had put a list of 6 vedic areas for my study plan and mudhras was one of them. The most efficient form of exercise without any strain. No gymming, no swimming, no straining yoga asanas and pranayams. Suits the lazy me. Karagre vasathe gives layers and layers of meanings each time it comes in mind. Now all I have to do is 8 minutes surya mudhra per day in summers for my weight, various other mudhras for digestion, relaxation, concentration and other health aspects all lying down on bed or sitting in one place after setting the timer. Amazing. Tested, Surya Mudhra works for sure. :-) Hats off to the teachers who figured this out in the first place. 72000 naadis?


Dasa mudhra samaradhya - She who is worshipped by ten postures
Karanguli nakhothpanna narayana dasakrithi - She who created the ten avatharas of Narayana from the tip of her nails (when Bandasura sent the Sarvasura asthra (arrow), she destroyed it by creating the ten avatharas of Vishnu)
Nakadhi dhithi samchanna namajjana thamoguna - She who removes the darkness in the minds of her devotees by the sparkle of nails

For more details:
http://complete-education.blogspot.com/2008/12/prithvi-shaamak-or-surya-mudra.html
http://www.healthandsoul.com/hasta-mudra-beneficial-for-age-groups-part-1.html
http://thetaoofgoodhealth.com/6-awesome-health-benefits-of-bananas-9/

No comments: