Monday, June 25, 2012

The Apple of Her Eyes...

After Apple Picking Apples
For Nutrition


What if Newton was sitting under a lemon tree instead of apple? What if apple had not come between Adam and Eve. What if apple didn't flash in Steve Jobs' mind!

"It is remarkable how closely the history of the Apple-tree is connected with that of man." -- Henry David Thoreau, Wild Apples

............
And I keep hearing from the cellar-bin
That rumbling sound
Of load on load of apples coming in.
For I have had too much
Of apple-picking; I am overtired
Of the great harvest I myself desired.
There were ten thousand thousand fruit to touch,
Cherish in hand, lift down, and not let fall,
For all
That struck the earth,
No matter if not bruised, or spiked with stubble,
Went surely to the cider-apple heap
As of no worth
 ...........
Robert Frost, After Apple Picking
 
When it comes to apples, i would prefer eating something fresh and crunchy, no matter how chilled the juice, fizz or milkshake is, or how yummy the pie or cake is. Living in central tamilnadu, the freshest apple I can get is probably 3-4 months old. The hardest part is removing the wax. I just scrapped with knife. Some suggest lemon juice and baking soda as scrubbing solution. While friends pick apples from trees, back home, I just savour the mangoes, the precious few, spared by birds, that mom picks from the garden, ripe mangoes that have fallen on the ground, at the slightest gust of wind. King of fruits! you should see the number of stones that school boys throw at the tree. Out here, the ripe mango that struck the earth, is still worth a kingdom. In fact some stammerers hunt for bird eaten fruits to regain their voice. The scent of apples; I am drowsing off.

No comments: