Sunday, August 22, 2010

A Town Like Alice – Nevil Shute

Noel Stachan the trustee starts this story of the modification of a will, inserting clauses.

When I was reading about the Three Pagoda’s pass as Dr. Ferris recollected after mentioning Donald Paget’s death, I wanted to go there as well. Again I was wondering, these were the British who ruled over India and Malaysia.
“she liked to have something to look at while her ears were assailed.” Amused me.

If I had all the worlds money what would I do? I would sit and read the novels, I want to. I would go traveling all over the world. I will cook and take care of mom. I will learn astrology properly. I will sit and meditate and join some ashram. I will teach in a village school and live in a simple village eating fresh farm produce. Rearing gardens with beautiful flowers. Now Jean Paget wants to go to Malay and dig a well. Am curious why?

Should know about the history of lifebuoy soap. Am surprised it was there from war times.

Good lord, the Nips crucified Joe Harman for stealing 5 black cockerels.

Kuala Telang and the place filled with casuarinas trees reminded me of the Schneider party we had at the Casaurina place in ECR. It was the first time I had a sip of Champagne the Schneider guy had got for the whole team. Someone took a snap of me drinking Champagne and threatened to send it to my parents then.
Kota Bahru reminded me of Pudukottai which means the same in Tamil.

Dulce ridentem lalagen amabo, Dulce loquentem. What does this mean? Okie found it
will love (my) sweetly laughing, sweetly chatting Lalage...

Joe Harman traveling half across the world to see Miss Paget reminded me of the tamil movie where Surya goes to US for the Reddy girl, believe it was Athavan.

Jean inspired in me to start something of my own. Reminded me of Nayana. Page turner it was. The title made sense after all. Everything that goes comes around, be it the gold of Hall’s creek or words or deeds. As they said in Vipasanna, everything comes back to you in thousand folds, because of the seed you sow.

No comments: