Saturday, August 21, 2010

Rainy Saturday Morning

I don’t like my mom wasting her time waking me up with her entreaties, so I always ask her to pour a tumbler of water on my face, if she wants me to wake up and she did it this morning around 7 and I found it was raining slightly and steadily. From my window I can see three neem trees and the sky beyond which was whitish grey. I just lay on the bed gazing at the verdant green neem leaves now shivering, now shaking, now bending with occasional big drops. I saw the various hues of green neem leaves, some dark, some budding and tender brown, all afresh like a newly bathed child.

Through the other side of the bedroom window, I could see 2 big coconut trees, 3 banana saplings, which has started growing its leaves. To look at the green banana leaves bathed in the rain was so delightful. There is a small white tree, with dark green leaves with such delicate sweetly smelling white flowers. Some of them have fallen on the ground, with no one to pluck them and the white strewn carpet of flowers on the dark wet earth is so refreshing.

There are mango trees as well which are so fresh in this rain. The tender mango ochre green leaves, light green leaves and dark green leaves are all standing like a fresh maiden waiting her for heavenly blessings of rain drops, cleansing her and nourishing her.

The squirrels are no longer screaming as they usually do at this time. Some crows are cawing, there is the sound of some other birds, chirping by. It is now drizzling the whole night, now reduced to a drizzle. Occasionally there is sound of the bird that calls us all to wake up around 4:30 am. My alarm for starting to cook lunch for mom has sounded, but am too lazy to move my limbs, wish I could just stare at the neem leaves from the front and the mango leaves and other trees behind me, lying on the bed.

No comments: