Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Suddenly its dad on my mind

"Read not to contradict and confute, not to believe and take for granted, not to find talk and discourse, but to weigh and consider."
Sir Francis Bacon


This is one of my favourite quotes in a Literature book that dad had bought. Dad used to buy lots of books for us. Very costly at times and when we had holidays, we were forced to translate them to hindi or write a page a day and show him when he came back from office. At times, we had to do a precis writing. We three used to hate it then. He didn't read in english medium and he made sure, we didn't have to face the problems he faced. He was a superb salesman. He made me feel that his ideas were mine. He didn't even know how to fill in an application form and ended up doing Economics instead of Engineering. And made me do engineering when i might have chosen fine arts left to myself. He used to make me tell the hindi lesson stories to him, while he hurried to office. He showed so much enthusiasm in everything we did. Be it my bharatnatyam steps or my paintings. He was always there to encourage us.


He taught me typing with typewriter. He got me keyboard for learning music. He got the old CBSE question papers typed out in 10th and 12th and forced me to write exams every sunday. I used to hate it then. But now i really cherish everything he did for us.

He taught me cooking. He taught me the steps to make the perfect sambar. I would get bored of sambar but he made me do it for weeks, till i got it right. He used to like it spic n span. I am given into my moods. When i would hear the bike sound. I would hurriedly sweep the house and make it clean for him. Still dad would again pick up the broom and show me the dirt under the cupboard. Even if it was washing a plate, he would make sure it was shining.

He would make a timetable of what to prepare when and made sure we had healthy food. Even if it was simple ironing clothes, he would make me do it patiently and perfectly. At times, i feel, the 1 surya pithru karka n the 2 mathru karka characteristics are very much true and he was two in one, a cancerian with a sun number 1. Dad was the most caring person.

No comments: