Friday, July 5, 2013

Humble Mooli - Radish

Tomato, Beans, Carrot, Radish

Jeera Mooli Parantha, Carrot Beans Sabji

Mooli Parantha Pirandai chutney
Wednesday WFH

Wonder how people work from home. I ended up watching Yeh Jawani hai Deewani and Moolis caught my attention thanks to this TV Pe Breaking News Haye Re Mera Ghagra song from YJHD
Mohtarma tu kis khet ki mooli
Hai zara bata


How I started loving Moolis

Like all other kids, till 5th standard or so, i did not touch vegetables. After reading about vitamins and vegetables in science text book, radish was the first vegetable, i heaped on my plate and ate. Many don't like radish. However, even mooli haters would love mooli paranthas, at least that was the case with my mangalore dentist roomie.

Mooli paranthas also remind me of my best friend originally from Jalandhar but settled in Delhi. She packed hot mooli paranthas with saag and met us at delhi railway station when we were on the way to REC Jalandhar. One of the very few school mates, am still in touch with. She was the first one to teach me how to make rotis. It was her rotis and paranthas that i ate for lunch almost every other day for 5 years.

Another thing about Mooli, is the fact that while grating Mooli, the stainless steel grater starts shining like a new one. After grating the radish, i squeeze the radish juice to make the dough. For years, i used to spend almost an hour waiting for the filling to be dry enough to stuff for the paranthas.

Health Benefits

DrVikram
wisegeek

Train Saga

This morning, Mayiladuthurai express, reached around 4 am. My compartment was right facing the entrance and for a moment, i was wondering, how come Neetu's kitchen is appearing in my dream. Without alarm, i was glad, i woke up just in time. However, I should have stayed in the compartment for 20 more minutes, i could have avoided standing for bus for 1 hour. Our 4:45 bus came at 5 am. It was broad daylight when i reached home and instead of hitting the bed, I made mom grate the moolis, since this day was all that we had together, before travelling again tonight.

Mom plucked drumstick leaves. By the time i finished bathing, 7:25 siren went off. Mom had to leave for her office at 8 am. Thanks to agni bhagwan, managed to make carrot beans sabji with 8 mooli paranthas within 25 minutes. Feeling sleepy now.

At home, am swamped by biting red ants, which didn't even spare the ghee for paranthas. I ended frying few ants with my ghee paranthas. Was feeling bad, that on saturday, ants got killed. So compensated by feeding sugar for the rest of the ants gang.

No comments: