Monday, January 4, 2010

ShivaGanga

The inception

On Friday, my friend who was in IIMI came down to see me after 2 years. I was showing her, this is the water tank, which was shot in 3 idiots, and on a impulse, we climbed up the water tank, that involved scenes as in Bridget Jones diary, climbing up the rungs attached to the walls.

It was fun, sitting on the tank, with our feet dangling and watching the btm lake. It was breezy even at 10 am, not hot, pretty pleasant infact.

During lunch, she suggested, why don’t you go to Shivaganga, it is just like Nandi Hills. I had been to nandi hills on a pournami and it was great then watching the sun set from one end and the full moon rise from another. On Sunday night, after a nice swimming session, post dinner, suddenly i was possessed by this urge to go to Shivaganga. I asked AG, she said, she could not bunk classes on Monday and that she was ready for Wednesday. I asked my engg college mate, who was ready for Sunday and could not bunk his first day of the year at office, so i asked OR and he agreed after saying, he is not feeling well. I was feeling bad, so at night i decided to chuck this off and decided i will either go with AG or my college mate on Sunday. However, on Monday morning, while i was brushing my teeth, i was again beckoned and i called up OR who agreed.

Onwards to Shivaganga

We had 1 grape juice and 1 aloo parantha and boarded bus to majestic around 9:30 am. We got a bus immediately to dabasapete. Around 12 we reached dabasapete and took an auto for 40. We had 2 yellow bananas for lunch. We started climbing the steps and i realized, i cannot walk in this scorching sun. OR lost his patience, coz he was not used to straining when he was not well and when he had not had his proper lunch. He called up his gf to complain that he is only having only cucumber for lunch. Lo, i decided. I told him, if he wants to go back, he can, but i simply cannot afford another burning tanned skin after exposure to chlorine water in swimming pool yes’day on a hot Sunday afternoon. So, we killed time till 2:30 pm for around 1.5 hours talking about his mysore trip and other small things.

The 2 km trek uphill

At 2:30 OR decided, no am not going to wait any longer, it will take 2 hours to climb, so we will start. I wore my hooded sweatshirt to cover my hair from the blazing sun and we started our ascent. Every once in a while, i stopped to catch my breath and savour the rate at which things became smaller and smaller from top.

Just Near the Entrance



We had sugarcane juice for 10 per cup half way through. There were monkeys to accompany us most of the way. Monkeys didn’t spare a thing, not even a water bottle. It was good that we decided not to carry anything. On the way, we saw a garland, torn to shreds by the monkey, who ate only the yellow marigolds.

Nandi a little above the base




Another view




Half way through, we met ladies who were returning stating that it is too steep. It was a bit steep, but not unscaleable. It was a nice exercise for the legs and arms. Around 4:20, we reached the nandi, climbed up and went to the temple. I did my pradhakshina from outside, coz i didn’t want to remove my shoes and we walked up to the wall that served as tank and watched the blazing 4:30 sun. I still had my hood on. The breeze was strong and our legs were shivering, one wrong move would have plummeted us down to the abyss. But it was fun, to watch the lakes glowing in afternoon sun. We rested there for 30 mins or so, took snaps. I wanted to stay for some more time, but OR was prudent and he said, look it will get dark and we need to make it by 6 pm, before it gets dark. I was wondering, so what, god will guide us and we can walk down. So i sat there savouring the serene view from top with the strong hissing breeze, while he acted as my shield from the 4:30 blazing sun.

Shiva at top




Nandi




View From Top





Downhill
Then considering the kid had not had his lunch, i decided fine, we will push off. We bid adieu and started climbing down. For quite some time, we two were the only ones where ever we could see and OR was telling, how strange it was that no one was there. The shops were closed, only 2 monkeys were left and we started our descent, we took another route and found a underground tank, brimming with water. Something was written in kannada, and a ganesh was immersed in the water. A rotten lemon was floating in the water as well. I took the water and sprinkled on my head and climbed down further. Downhill was much simpler. I watched as the shadow of the hill, reached the three cross roads and in my next stop reached twice that distance within a short while. Around 6:30 we reached down, after having a mini cup of tea and elaichi cream biscuits for 12 totally.

Back to Blore

We took an auto for 60 this time from temple, we didn’t bargain. After reading various blogs we didn’t want to board a private bus. Boarded what looked like a govt. bus around 8 and reached campus around 10:30. I got onions and tomatoes and oil from night canteen. I put them in the oven before going to bath. After bathing, i made top ramen, i had few spoonfuls and then blissfully collapsed.

On the side note

My yoga mate, PVS sent me a link on Sunday showing kanchi priest indulging in perverse sexual acts inside the machesa perumal temple, attending to devotees. I was thinking, here I am going to pray to a male organ. I was admiring the genius of the man who created this cult of praying to linga. The shrewdness of people who created these rites and rituals of praying to nandi first, arranging poojas for money. Though Shiva Shiva is still constantly on my lips, it is still a conflict within me, as to what am i praying to. Is god within me, the person next to me and in every creature? Then why all this?

No comments: