Thursday, April 14, 2011

Tomatoes - A two minutes dash

Folks had gone out for shopping yet again. I thought I would survive on grapes. But even after munching grapes for 20 minutes, my tummy continued grumbling and I was too lazy to cook something elaborate.

Only beetroots, avarakai, brinjals, potatoes were there. So i lit the stove, chopped 2 tomatoes white the tava got heated and made 2 thick yet crisp tomato dosas in 2 minutes and lo my lunch was ready. To accompany it was idli podi (kadala paruppu, ulundu, sesame seeds and asafoetida) in ghee and a thick cup of yoghurt.


Thanks to curd, it is very filling and takes hardly any time to cook.

My friends eat raw tomatoes slices their sandwiches or with lunch everyday in hostel. Tomatoes eaten raw make the skin glow. It is useful for vata and kapha people. It is a blood purifier and cures various ailments like stomach ache, piles, jaundice. It controls excessive fat. The scarlet colour of tomatoes in the peel with a tinge of carmine red and dark orange inside is always stimulating.

For the function this saturday, my first choice of goddess Saraswathi's combos of ivory white with maroon border was dismissed - being very traditional. So I switched on to the only available sari - a crimson red with golden border. Alas the blouse is in between scarlet and carmine red. Will have to live with it, unless my folks get me a perfect matching blouse this day.

No comments: