Monday, January 31, 2011

Belgaum Reception

Day Z kickoff
I got the call about his wedding almost 6 months earlier, but it was just a week before when I decided I will go. Tatkal tickets were booked. I finished saying my chagrined bye-byes to my music teacher (who could not believe that I was actually missing Thyagarajar aradhana and asked me 4-5 times in disbelief) and my yoga teacher (who blessed me and made special arrangements to give dhurya deeksha separately). I hurried home to find mom ensconced watching her serials. After preparing dinner, I reluctantly started ironing and packing which I managed to finish only by 2 am. I slept off and on Tuesday morning, I managed to leave home after further packing (forgetting toothbrush and towel in spite of my checklist) only around 10:45 am. I reached Salem around 3:35 pm. And Ernakulam Salem Blore passenger was at 3:35, luckily, it came late and I boarded the train which started just as I settled in my seat. I was wondering, if it was the soolam effect.

Salem to Bangy
Mallu and kanada uncles sitting all around me were pretty decent and they helped with my luggage, they let me sit by their window seat in the evening to watch the sunset and scenery. As we passed Dharmapuri, the lush green paddy fields and few white storks scattered here and there, the flowers and villagers reminded me of காக்கை சிறகினிலே. I tried to translate the lyrics in English with the pen borrowed from my neighbouring Mallu uncle and here is what I ended up with:

தீக்குள் விரலை வைத்தால் நந்தலாலா - நின்னை
தீண்டும் இன்பம் தோன்றுதடா நந்தலாலா
With my fingers fine in flames searing, Nandalala
Arises, sensuous pleasure of your caress endearing, Nandalala
(Hope you and mahakavi forgive me)


Kittur on Rani Chennamma
It was little after 8:30 pm when I alighted and figured out which was Rani Chennamma’s platform. The train was apparently standing on tracks after Nizam left and I was wondering, why they were only making departure announcements, and nothing about arrival. I found my senior and his wife in S9 trying to sort out their berths and I happily collapsed on my berth in S2 after ticket checking got over. I could not eat the soya dosas and cauliflower sabji that mom had packed for me, thanks to the bus-train journey.

Belgaum Foundry Cluster – B’s home
Early morning, after watching the morning scenes around, I got 2 potato cutlets since i had been starving the whole tuesday and joined my senior and his wife in the platform. A vehicle had been arranged for arranging our stay in the Foundry Cluster.

It was a spacious double bedded room, which I could have all for myself. I cut short my surya namaskars and pranayams, so that we would not be late for breakfast in B’s home. After drowning the upma which they call kara bath, boondi, besan laddoo and motichoor laddoos with a cup of hot coffee, we went down to watch the engagement and wedding videos. Bouncing bubbly kids were playing all around and elderly Aggies were examining the displayed bride’s gifts, weighing the Ag in their hands by the adjacent room. B’s family was very courteous and his friend in college first year, drew an arabic mehndi pattern on my left palm, while we watched the videos.

B’s father reminded me that I had apparently interacted with him on campus. After informal chats, it was more than 2 pm. Because I had stopped eating rice for a while, I had rotis, badanekayi masala, thayir vada, thaak (butter milk in marati it seems, I told them, it means to attack in tamizh and they were amused) and semiya payasam along with more than 30 other friends and relatives, on shamiyanaed terrace on the second floor.

The main event - Reception
We went back to take rest in our Cluster rooms and I slept off blissfully. Woke up, finished my left over pranayams and surya namaskars, Vethathri's 14 point acupressure and got summons for getting ready for reception. After bathing it was 7:25 pm as I finished draping the lotus pink maroon bordered valkalam gifted by my mom’s Mallu friend. My neighbour, gemini Manju akka had patiently taught me to tie it on Sunday evening with 5 pins and a sari clip, instead of my usual 2 pin draping and I too ended up liking the neat mermaid finish better than the 2 pin draping taught by a piscean.

The open air reception area, decorated with lovely flowers and soft green grass and buffet tables set up for soups and starters, paneer butter, naans and rumalis, rice items and deserts and paan. My seniors wondered, if I knew when the groom and bride would be entering, as the pair brimming in happiness, also entered the venue at 7:30 pm. I had to make up stories every time on why I was not eating rice.

Back to Bangy
After gorging, we quickly changed, packed and boarded VRL from Triveni. After losing my Au bracelet and petite titan raga watch (which I had bought for my first red carpet party) hardly a month before during previous trip to blore, I was worried about my necklace and double deck jhimki in my luggage dumped in the bus luggage section. Suddenly, I started loathing Au and other possessions which stole my mental peace. Why should I ever possess things that don’t give me peace of mind? Am not going to adorn anymore Au, diamonds or kanaka pushparagams other than daily wear, i will give this also up in a few years and just meditate in some ashram. Anything is worth pursuing, possessing only as long as you don't have it, the moment it is yours, it immediately loses its initial charm. The soft-spoken helpful girl next to me on the upper berth in VRL was slender with long hair. Reached friends place and hostel subsequently safely. Wish, the wedding had been planned when there were waters in Gokak and Vajrapoha falls.

No comments: