Sunday, June 27, 2010

Why do people scale heights?

After a long time, I went for walking with mom tonight. Mom had traveled this whole day and hence she asked to cut short the walk. That happened to be at the cross road that took us to the water tank.

The sight of the huge 100+ feet water tank, made me nostalgic. Rewinding back to 5th standard.

Narmada and Nazreen were my friends and we three finished our last exam and were walking back from school. Those days the area around water tank was full of mango trees. We wanted to explore the mango grove and I ended up climbing up the water tank. It was around 3-4 pm. The OFT high school folks saw my Kendriya Vidyalaya uniform and the matter was informed to the school. They came to the tank, beckoned me down, my name and mother’s name was obtained. I didn’t know to lie and ended up giving my mother’s real name.

A small kid like me climbing the water tank became a hoopla for our locality. My madam Sugandhavalli made me write impositions 500 times that my hand hurt. Other teachers reprimanded me in every class. Narmada was transferred to another school. Every house where I happened to go those few days secretly whispered that I climbed the tank and I cringed at that thought. Had I been a guy, it would not have been a problem. The last time I climbed the tank was after 3 idiots, to see Sep 5. Am wondering, why do I climb water tanks and small hills. Simply because it is there. But why? True strength is not courage but lack of fear. But am filled with full blind courage and old climbers’ fear. Deadly combination.

While coming back to my cross, I passed through Nazreen’s house. Being Sunday, a strong biryani smell was permeating the whole neighbourhood from her house. My mouth watered, and I ended up buying top ramen even after 8 pm to satiate my tongue. Need to go see Nazreen and her baby daughter soon.

No comments: